Self-care is skin deep. I’m a firm believer in taking care of our bodies in a natural, gentle way. My skincare routine is part of my self-care practice, and leaves me feeling positive after those fifteen minutes in the morning and night. I always thought I took skincare seriously until I met the QUEEN of skincare.
Last year, I was introduced to Ada Polla, CEO of Alchimie Forever, from our mutual friend and Houston beauty guru Faith Haller. I became such a huge fan of her family’s business, that I’ve swapped out many of my original skincare products for Alchimie Forever. When Ada said she was coming to town and wanted to meet Houston bloggers, it was obvious that we needed a special dinner to make the celebration. We gathered Houston bloggers at Emmaline (a must-visit restaurant in Houston) for dinner, rich conversation, and lots of rosé! Flowers were provided by my sweet fried Claudia, founder of Amora Flower Bar, giving us the most beautiful tablescape.
When it comes to checking off my boxes for clean skincare, the brand scores winning marks. Alchimie Forever is paraben-free, cruelty-free, hypo-allergenic, and non-comedogenic. Dr. Luigi L. Polla started the Swiss skincare company after his pioneering work in dermatology, laser therapy, and anti-aging technologies. Alchimie Forever is a business that involves the entire Polla family, making it so much more personal. The Polla sisters (the definition of beauty and brains) even have their own blog where they share a behind-the-scenes to their personal lives and three businesses.
Because Alchimie Forever holds a very dear place in my heart and on my vanity, I wanted to share a few of my favorite products with you as well as the brand’s tips for excellent skin. During our dinner, Ada would have been remiss to leave us hanging without her best skin tips. If you can’t tell from the images, her skin is flawless. She doesn’t wear makeup and keeps things au naturale 24/7. I admire her so much as a friend, business leader, and the epitome of #skincaregoals. Here are a few of the tips Ada passed down from her father, dermatologist and founder Dr. Luigi L. Polla, at our dinner:
- Sleep on your back. I am such a side and stomach sleeper, so this one was a tough lesson for me! If you sleep on a particular side, it can often be noticeable based on the fine lines that appear on your favored side.
- Avoid using straws. I LOVE this tip because it’s good for the environment and your skin. The act of sucking on a straw causes you to pucker your lips and creates lines. Over time, using straws can contribute to wrinkles. Save the turtles and your smile!
- Cut out sugar from your diet. Ada and I bonded over nutrition when we talked about the sugar industry. While I’m still working on being less sugar-dependent, Ada has staunchly disavowed sugar. Emmaline brought out several plates of dessert, and the woman didn’t even blink before declining! Her reason is scientifically-backed: sugar is a skin aging accelerator. She breaks down the details on her blog, but excess sugar molecules attach themselves to proteins like collagen and cause them to lose their strength. Weaker collagen = less plump skin.
- Don’t smoke. I mean, do I really have to go into this one? According to Health.com, cigarette smoking also depletes many nutrients, including vitamin C, which helps protect and repair skin damage. Cigarettes are bad for your health, the people around you, and your skin.
- Use SPF 20+ daily. I’ve droned on about the importance of SPF before, but it will help preserve and protect your skin. I’ve been using Alchimie Forever’s Protective Day Cream SPF23 daily to block out UVA and UVB rays. The cream’s signature ingredient, the European blueberry, in synergy with vitamins C and E and edelweiss, fight free radical damage to minimize the appearance of signs of premature aging. This sunscreen is also oxybenzone-free, so cheers to that!
How enlightening are Ada’s tips? Honestly, great skin is a daily commitment that takes diligence. (Take it from me, the girl who has been obsessively trying to change sleep positions since our May dinner!) The most amazing part about cultivating a healthy skincare regimen is that we’re showing up for ourselves. Those 15 minutes of progress each day can give you clarity, pampering, and a reason to feel good about yourself from the inside out. I never miss a morning because I know that feeling good about my skin helps me feel good about my day.
Which of these skincare tips will you be starting?