If I had to describe the year in one word it would be chaos. From starting a new job to selling my childhood home, there has been so much change compiled into 365 days that feel like 365 seconds. Somedays have felt like I’ve been carrying the weight of the world on my shoulders, but on special days I’ve gotten to step back and actually see the world. No matter how busy life gets, I promised myself a long time ago that I’d make traveling a priority. Judging by the butterflies I feel in my stomach when I pack a bag, I’d say I have a travel bug. As I prepare for my next trip, I’ve rounded up a list of my favorite travel essentials to help you prepare for your next big trip.
Before I rattle off a list of the travel essentials a proper carry-on needs, let’s start with the actual carry on. I’ve always loved to travel with a larger carry-on bag so I can fit a Mary Poppins-sized load of my needs. For weekend trips, I’ll even use my carry-on as my main piece of luggage. (This is a rare and beautiful thing since I don’t quite comprehend the phrase “travel lightly.”) This week, I’m departing to Miami—a city that holds my heart in its intricate murals and fierce cafecitos. In a vibrant and energized city overflowing with art, my Vera Bradley Impressionista Grand Traveler Bag will feel right at home.
I had a truly difficult time choosing between the bag’s eight patterns. FOMO times a million. I spent four years of high school in an art room, so it shouldn’t be a shock that I settled on the Impressionista pattern. Versatile and convenient, Vera Bradley‘s Grand Traveler bag is incredibly resourceful. It’s carry-on compliant, has four pockets perfect for tech gear (because forgetting headphones on a flight would be life ruining), an adjustable shoulder strap and a trolley sleeve to fit on top of your suitcase. The best part is that it feels like a fashion accessory and not just an indistinguishable piece of luggage.
I’m the queen of overpacking, but I do keep a list of top tier items I couldn’t survive without. Click through my list to see what I’ll be packing in my Vera Bradley bag this week!
Here are just a few:
- Passport Holder: Don’t let losing your passport be simple; stay aware with a bright-colored passport holder.
- Cozy Cardigan: I’m ALWAYS cold!
- Eye Gels: These are a MUST for the plane. Check out my full guide to beauty travel essentials here.
- Lightweight Headphones: AirPods have the perfect amount of battery life + a charging case.
- Laceup Sandals: These shoes are comfortable enough for the flight and don’t sacrifice your personal style
- Notebooks: I feel incomplete boarding a plane without my notebook— fierce writer’s anxiety
- Mophie battery backup: Working in the communication field means I, well, communicate. A lot. My phone is always dying, so Mophie is a must-have.
- Benefit Cosmetics POREfessional Zero Shine Agent: It’s common to get oily skin during a day of traveling. This product is an AMAZING fix to rid yourself of shine.
- Books: I’ll be bringing my buddy Elizabeth Gilbert with me in the form of Big Magic. Truly a phenomenal read.
While I put my Vera Bradley bag to use, I can’t help but reflect on the amazing year it’s been. I’ve had some pretty significant travels: a permanent move to Houston, a Hawaiian getaway, a dose of culture in Austin, a San Francisco rendezvous, and a picturesque day in Napa Valley. The Vera Bradley brand strives to be a girl’s best friend and I don’t doubt we’ll be making plenty of memories together in 2016. Needless to say, I am looking forward to the New Year.
Going on a big trip this holiday? Share it in the comments section below!
This is a sponsored post in partnership with Vera Bradley and Her Campus Media. All words and opinions are my own.